|Position Title||The Queer Space Peer Support Lead|
|Start Date||September 5, 2023|
|End Date||December 8, 2023|
|Rate of Pay||$18.00 per hour|
|Hours per Week||12 – 15 hours|
|Number of Positions||1|
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union (TMSU) is currently seeking candidates to support the Queer Space, one of the TMSU 5 equity service centres. The position is directly supervised by the Equity and Campaigns Organizer.
- Coordinates volunteer recruitment, orientation, training and retention.
- Organizes the work of volunteers and their participation in related promotional events including a close collaboration with the other Equity Service Centres.
- Coordinates & chairs volunteer meetings, and maintains a volunteer database and drop-in space schedule.
- Maintains and updates the community resource listings and seeks out new promotional information from on and off-campus community groups.
- Builds a network with other student-based queer and trans organizations for the purpose of development, promotion and collaboration.
- Maintains the Centre’s drop-in and office space including general cleanliness and maintenance, access and inventory of supplies and resources and the facilitation of community guidelines.
- Coordinates and maintains drop-in intake, referral and triage policies and procedures.
- Assists in coordinating and developing the Centre’s social media and marketing strategy, specifically relating to the drop-in space.
- Develop monthly newsletters for volunteers and community members.
- Responsible for maintaining regular office hours, providing resources and information to users and guests, and working to establish a clean, safe and positive environment.
- Responsible for reviewing & making recommendations to the Centre’s policy & procedures.
Successful Candidates Will Possess
- Passion around sexual and gender liberation and combating queerphobia, transphobia, heterosexism and cissexism.
- Ability to overcome challenges and lead a project from concept and planning through to successful execution.
- Experience with community development, event planning and developing promotional material.
- Can work independently with minimal supervision but is team oriented.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organisational skills with proven ability to work within deadlines and adhere to regular tasklists.
- Effective communication, both verbal and written.
- Ability to motivate others and recruit volunteers.
- Knowledge and understanding of equity issues, anti-oppression and creating inclusive spaces.
- Experience with conflict resolution and de-escalation tactics is considered a strong asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite.
- Must be a student at Toronto Metropolitan University.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter prior to 5pm on August 27, 2023
Subject: Queer Space Peer Support Lead Application
Please ensure it is in PDF format and that you send it to the correct email address as shown above.
The students’ union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from diverse communities, including: First Nations, Inuit & Métis people, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the queer community, trans people and women.
Who are we?
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union represents over 38,000 full-time undergraduate students at Toronto Metropolitan University, in downtown Toronto. As the central students’ union on campus, the TMSU works to build campus life, advocate on behalf of its members, organize campaigns and initiatives, provide cost-saving services, and work with students across the province and country for a more affordable and accessible post-secondary education system.
For more information on the Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union, please check out our website at http://www.yourtmsu.ca.
Note: The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union is an independently incorporated and autonomous from Toronto Metropolitan University.