TMSU By-Election Fall 2023/2024
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union (TMSU) is seeking a DEPUTY RETURNING OFFICER (DRO) to facilitate its Students’ Union elections between November 2023 and December 2023.
|Position Title||Deputy Returning Officer|
|Start Date||November 2023|
|End Date||December 2023|
|Rate of Pay||$20.00 per hour|
|Hours per Week||Flexible (Minimum of 20 hours per week)|
|Number of Positions||1|
|Contract||Contract – Temporary|
|Posting Date||October 31, 2023|
|Closing Date||November 3, 2023|
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union (TMSU) is actively seeking applications for a contract position of Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) for its 2023/2024 by-elections. The DRO is required to assist the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) to organize and promote the elections.
- Applicants must NOT be a student at Toronto Metropolitan University.
- Hours per week are flexible and based on the Election Period demands and as scheduled by the CRO.
- Applicants must be available for a set schedule of office hours between 10am and 6pm during the election period
- Assisting with the development of a plan to ensure a successful, democratic execution of the elections
- With direction from the CRO, ensure that the election process is organized in a fair manner
- Assist with promotions, outreach and the training of the TMSU Elections
- Assisting with administrative tasks and record keeping
- Oversee Campaigning and voting processes
- Enforcing the Elections Procedure Code and By-laws as directed
Skills and experience needed include:
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Ability to follow directions carefully
- Clear written and oral communication skills
- Ability to provide clear interpretations of rules and regulations
- Knowledge and experience with the electoral process is considered a strong asset
- Familiarity with students’ unions and student elections
- Ability to work well under pressure and with a diverse audience
- Conflict resolution
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written
RESUME & COVER LETTER DUE November 3rd @ 4:00pm to:
C/O CRO and Elections & Referenda Hiring Committee
Address: 55 Gould St, Suite 311, Toronto, ON, M5B1E9
Who are we?
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union represents over 38,000 full-time undergraduate students at Toronto Metropolitan University, in downtown Toronto. As the central students’ union on campus, the TMSU works to build campus life, advocate on behalf of its members, organize campaigns and initiatives, provide cost-saving services, and work with students across the province and country for a more affordable and accessible post-secondary education system.
For more information on the Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union, please check out our website at http://www.yourtmsu.ca.
The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union is independently incorporated and autonomous from Toronto Metropolitan University. The Toronto Metropolitan Students’ Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from diverse communities, including: Black, Indigenous and Persons of Colour, Persons with disabilities, Gender non-conforming folks, members of the Queer community, Trans folk and Women.